What is it? Is it
fall? Is it a new school year? A relatively new job? Something is brewing
where it feels like a new opening, one that is part of me but also much
larger.
It has something to do with reading, phones, and bikes.
I was a huge fan of Star Trek Next Generation towards the
end of its run and then for several years after via reruns. I watched every episode, many of them several
times. None of this was via recorded
shows, just nightly reruns that varied from beginning at 11, then 10:30 then 9
(this must have correlated with the aging of the audience, I suppose).
I remember various portions of episodes, and there is one of
those clips that has been standing out in my mind a lot lately. It is a short scene that opens with Jean Luc
Picard in his "quarters.” He is sitting
down, the light is low, and perhaps there is some gentle music. He is holding a
small leather book, and someone “enters” and asks, “What’s that?” And he says something like, “It’s called a
book, the old way of reading. I like to
keep one around.” That scene was always
interesting to me because I was convinced that while there may be a time we
wouldn’t have books, it certainly wouldn’t be in my lifetime, and I certainly would never, ever give up my books or reading them.
Ahhh, yes. And now
here we are, In the era of Kindle, Nook,
iPad, and a wide variety of ereaders. A
year ago Matt requested a Kindle as a birthday gift, and I very grudgingly
ordered one (to his delight). He went
from someone reading the same book for about three years, to one who devoured
classics, modern works of fiction, newspapers and just about anything on a
regular basis. I turned my nose up in disgust anytime he gently urged me to
try. “You and these things are the
downfall of literacy,” I would say in my supportive wifely way.
Then in the summer, my book group at work was reading a book
I had previously read, but had passed on to someone and now no longer had in my
collection. Fancy Reader Matt had also
downloaded this book on the Kindle, and offered to let me read it. I thanked him (I hope) but still made
plans to pick up another copy at the bookstore.
He pleaded with me not to buy another copy just for the sake
of my pride.
“Please, it’s in my archives. Please don’t go out and buy
the book again.”
“Whatever your archives!! God, I’m sure I need some stupid
password to get to your <insert airquotes> archives. Whatever!”
He calmly walked over to me with the Kindle and pressed two
or maybe three buttons. Then he handed me the device and I was suddenly looking
at the cover of my book on the screen.
“Hmm,” I said.
“Well.”
And I started reading on that thing. I started carrying that thing with me places. I had an unexpected trip, and I was able to
bring seven books and two newspapers, all on that thing. The battery never seemed to run out.
Then I learned how to sync it with my iphone, and it was even more amazing! I now had that book with me
everywhere, but it wasn’t an extra, it was built into something that was already
with me wherever I went. And it was so light.
So I have become a fan.
I am a big fan of the ereader. I
still want books around, but I need less of them. I still want to feel the weight of the book
and feel the turn of the page, but if I am traveling or biking to lunch (foreshadow
to part 2 of this series), I am gleeful when I have my dear friend the book
right there with me, with so much ease.
It’s September 18, 2011 and I am seeing Jean Luc Picard’s
future right in front of me. I am
nothing less than astonished. And it is entirely unexpected.