I titled this blog "Sunday Mornings" with the url as "ezlike" because I love that Commodore's song, "Easy Like Sunday Morning." (Here's a cheesy youtube link which you may want to listen to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b096Q67Sz-4&feature=fvsr -- sorry about the weird lead in slides, it was the first one I saw...)
So that's part of what I want to convey with this blog -- an easy time -- when you have time to drink good coffee (or tea or whatever is your thang) and just think about stuff.
The irony, however, is that many of my Sunday mornings are not easy. For me, like for many of us, Sunday morning is about the only unscheduled time where I can just sit.. Saturdays usually include activities, and when we are home, they are mornings of productivity -- laundry, house tidying, Matt's usually remodeling or rebuilding something. Lately the kids go to fencing. At the cabin Saturdays are the easy day because Sunday morning usually heralds the afternoon departure and that looms largely.
So many Sunday mornings begin easy -- early morning paper and coffee and nice music. But then usually after overextending that goodness, once of us looks at the clock and OHMYGODITIS920WE HAVETOGO!!!!!!" Calamity ensues. The house which has been ignored completely is in total disarray. Of course we didn't lay out kids clothes the night before because it was Sunday morning, filled with time. So they don't have clothes, any clothes, much less clothes suitable for church. Matt and I inevitably end up fighting about something, and it at times ends up being the most intense verbal warfare of the month All of this before we are supposed to slow down and "happily" show up for church where we can finally take some time to reflect on the week behind and the week ahead. I am often seething for the whole first half of the service.
But ahhh, today. Today was chaotic but not entirely exhausting. We somehow managed to ID halfway decent clothes for everyone. Then, we were early to church because Alice was carrying a flag in for the procession We saw friends as we entered and it was nice to be in good company. I was surprisingly teary as Alice marched in with her flag -- she's just such a big responsible preteen these days. After, we stopped off to buy pumpkins, then back at home Matt made a fabulous breakfast for all of us as we carved up the pumpkins.
Someday I'll achieve a consistent cadence of happiness on a Sunday morning. Perhaps today is the day it begins.