Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Did I love them because they were sad?

I have found this new radio station on Pandora -- "Ambient."  I was looking for some restful music one night, like the kind at the end of yoga class, during Savasana.  So I typed "yoga music" into Pandora's search engine and up popped "Ambient." I love it.  Just what I was looking for.

Tonight I had it on as I was putting on some new soft sheets, and paused when a familiar song came on. I am pretty sure it was from the thirtysomething soundtrack.  And I started thinking about thirtysomething, and how I loved the character Gary.  When he died, I felt like I lost a sibling. I was so emotionally invested in that show.  I remember my body being wracked with grief.  That made me think about Six Feet Under.  Ack, the same thing!  Some of those deaths -- and then -- how it ended!  Oh, I was lost for days...I felt like I lost  some of my best friends. 

The thing is, I rarely cry about the real things in life.  When things are really difficult and hard, it takes a lot to make me cry or get emotional.  I am always sitting quietly when friends tear up over different issues.  Different real issues. But I don't tear up and I don't cry.  Could I be a caring person who is not empathetic? 

Or, sometimes-- I wonder about my own wall that gets quickly built up the moment we enter the emotional zones. Perhaps I just don't allow myself to be sad.  And maybe that's why thirtysomething and Six Feet Under were so devastating:  somehow, it was okay to be sad about these tv shows and these fictional characters.

Maybe that's why I loved them? 

Because I finally got the chance to be sad.