I am at the beginning of a healthy
eating program (again!) and once again I am amazed at just how
generally unhealthy I am. Also, as usual, I can't stop talking about
the new thing in my life to anyone who will listen. And like routes
to work or organizing routines, I can talk about healthy eating for
hours and hours.
Just such a conversation was recently
taking place across my desk with a co-worker. We were exchanging
tips and ideas on healthy eating and exercising – how to do it
(exercise) and how to make it easy (healthy eating).
Most of us who
are trying to shed a few learn early on that a significant calorie
culprit is BREAD. Unfortunately I love bread, especially light,
flaky, buttery french bread, croissants and things a lot like them.
My coworker had been down the bread road and was going through the
zigs and zags of her journey.
“Well first it was wheat. Then I
moved to whole grain. And finally, my trainer got me on the frozen
bread – you know that Easy Gill bread,” she said.
“Easy Gill?” I asked. “Hmm. I
don't think I've heard of that.”
“Easy Gill – like the bible. Easy
Gill,” she said. She kept talking but I couldn't stop thinking.
Easy Gill? Like the bible, Easy Gill? I scanned through my
bible stories, thinking that a swankering prepster with penny loafers
on might show up at a cafe with Jonah and the whale, or hey, maybe he
was Lazarus' second cousin who came for the funeral.
She was well ahead in her story and
then I stopped her. “Wait now. Easy Gill? Who is Easy Gill?”
I asked.
She briefly paused. “Old Testament,”
she said.
Finally I got it.
“Oh! Ezekiel!” I said “Ezekiel
– I thought you were saying Easy Gill.”
“No – it's Ezekiel – Ezekiel 4 9
bread.” We were laughing and simultaneously walking into religious
territory at the work place so we wrapped it up.
Along with my failing eyesight I seem
also to have trouble hearing things. I have made the “easy gill”
type of mistake all too often lately. And my unique pronunciations
have recently surged. You call it basil? I call it bah-SEAL. You
call them advertisements? I call them adVERtizments. And Lord of
all, you call that spice oregano? To me, it's or-eh-GONE-oh.
A few days later I googled the bread
because of course now I really wanted to know what Ezekiel 4:9 said.
I found it all on the bread's website “Food for life.” The verse says: "Take
also unto thee Wheat, and Barley, and beans, and lentils, and millet,
and Spelt, and put them in one vessel, and make bread of it..."
Turns out it's a delicious whole grain, healthy bread. It's nice
when the bible and life workout in a sensible way.
(At least that's what Easy Gill
says...)
(...ba dum dum)