Sunday, October 2, 2011

Openings Part III of III: Convergence

I love when things converge the way they did the day I had a delicious lunch in a new favorite cafe, with my favorite book being read on an e-reader and my office a bikeride away. It was a delightful surprise to have these three things come together for me and create such an authentic feeling of happiness.

Synergy excites me. My grad school classes were all taught with an emphasis on cross-academic learning – I loved when, in my writing class, we read Nick Herbert's Quantum Realities and at the back of the book was a score of a song he or a colleague wrote called “Quantum Jazz.” Learning some of the basic principles of quantum physics – particularly theories about the time-space continuum -- was thrilling. Then seeing Herbert put that learning into a Jazz score? Excellent! And this was all part of a writing class! I know some of my best writing took place in that class because there were all sorts of new bits of knowledge to stimulate the thoughts and ideas that came out on paper.

Those convergences seemed to come on a regular basis when I was in graduate school, and even right after that when I was working in the Arts. But soon after, in building a life of work, spouse and kids it has been hard to see and feel those convergences. Or, they happen at lightening speed and the time to acknowledge and enjoy them disappears. Time seems to be a critical ingredient in the recipe for happiness.

Gentle enlightenment can appear in unexpected ways: sometimes from an e-reader that you resist for months and sometimes from a neon green bike standing in its kiosk calling out your name.

For me, the combination of these three small new habits has brought new delight to daily living. I look for opportunities to ride “my” bike during the day. I enjoy the easy access to books and reading via the ereader and accompanying smart phone apps, and it is wonderful to find just a wisp of time during the day to enjoy these things after a refreshing short bikride.

I love that something I couldn't believe could happen (ebooks), is happenning and I am enjoying it.

I love that I am finding time during the day to be out bikeriding in the air, and not sucked into my desk, or in the midst of a weekend laundry marathon -- things that must be done but are the antithesis of fresh air and outdoors.

I love that it is new.

I love that a door has opened.